Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Fabric Covered Recipe Binder {DIY}

Last week I shared with you all a fabric covered binder that I just LOVE!

I thought maybe y'all might want to make one too. They are super easy, take little fabric and are lots of fun!  =)

Here's how to make a basic binder cover...

First you need to measure your binder (I got mine at the dollar store. It is super flimsy. Not sure if I like that or not). I opened mine up and laid it flat to measure. You need the height and width. I had a 1" binder and the measurements were as follows: 21 1/4" wide by 11 1/2" tall.

For my pattern pieces I added an inch to the width and height. Here are the pieces you need to cut to make a binder cover with pockets:

1 - 12 1/2" x 22 1/4"
2 - 12 1/2" x 10 1/2"
2 - 6" x 10 1/2"

*I should mention here that I used an iron on craft bond stabilizer on the back of each piece for added stability.


Let's get started.... And please excuse the low quality pictures! It is what it is, what else can I say?  ;)

First you're going to finish the top edge of the pocket pieces by folding them done a half inch and using straight stitch.


Next you'll take the larger pocket pieces and place the smaller pockets on top. Then you will fold over on the side by a half inch. See the picture below.


Repeat this process for both sides being careful to do them opposite of each other. I made the mistake of making them both the same at first. Oops! See the picture below for reference.


Now we are going to place the pieces right side together and sew in place, all the way around the edge, using a 1/4" seam allowance.


Like so...


Flip it all inside right. Now its time to iron it.


Next top stitch all the way around using a 1/4" seam allowance. This will keep the piece in the middle down.


Just slip your binder into the sleeves and you are all finished!


Pretty painless! It should take way less than one nap time to complete. Sweet!


To make this my recipe binder I just added some sheet protectors and recipes. I will most likely add some dividers to separate the different types of recipes later.  


I find it easier to keep my recipes this way. Especially since I usually print them from the internet, and usually I tweak them to my liking in Word first.  =)


Now that you've made one for yourself, go make one for a friend. They make great gifts!!

Have a blessed day friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

There was an error in this gadget
Tote-ally Crafty Experience@2012. Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP