Thursday, September 27, 2012

Homeschool: Teaching the Presidents

Our family is so very blessed to be a part of a wonderful homeschool co-op, First Class Northwest Houston. The kids absolutely LOVE Friday school! And, so do I!

It is so much fun to be able to come together with a group of other homeschooling families, to be able to support and encourage one another on this journey we have all decided to embark on, each for different reasons.

One of my favorite parts is teaching. I love to teach! In the past I have taught Texas History (10-12 y/o's), Dinosaurs in Creation (5-6 & 7-9 y/o's) and Mighty Math (5-6 y/o's). This semester I chose to teach US Presidents to the 10-12 y/o's because my 11 y/o son has shown an interest in the president's. Most likely because of the upcoming election. It has been great fun so far!

I thought it would be worthwhile to share here our US President Unit we are doing in class. The co-op runs for 9 weeks. Which isn't very long, especially when you have 44 president's to cover! So, I picked nine president's to focus on, one each week. Our 3rd Friday is tomorrow. I'm going to post about our 1st class now, then I'll have a separate post for our 2nd class, and will do our 3rd class next week. I hope to keep up with this every week. I have found lots of great resources while preparing, and I have been learning so much right along with them! History is very fascinating!

First I'll start with the resources I am using.....

I found some wonderful short biographies at Garden of Praise. If you click the link it will take you right to the page with all of the president's. There are even printables like word finds, coloring pages, and study questions. All FREE!

Another great resource I found over at Homeschool Share. They have a President Lapbook and a Presidents Day page full of fabulousness. All of these are in pdf fprmat and FREE.

I decided we were going to put together a President  Notebook, instead of a lapbook. Basically, I used THESE FREE notebooking pages and am incorporating different lapbook elements here and there to add to it.

Each class we will be doing a fun activity too. This really helps the kids minds to retain information. I know it sure helps me!

You can also follow me on Pinterest and see other great resources and ideas for teaching about the Presidents!

Our first class we discussed George Washington. We did a simple craft to go along with our lesson, we made a tricorner hat. I found THESE instructions to make them. We did them a little bit differently. The instructions used butcher paper but I wanted to use felt. We did still use the sentence strip as directed, we just attached the felt to it. The kids enjoyed making this! It was fun to see them wearing them.  =)


It was a great first class! I am blessed to have such a remarkable group of kids, and so smart! Two of them, brothers, had actually just gotten back from traveling the States and visiting a lot of the places that former presidents had lived. They new a lot of stuff that I didn't know.  =)


Next, I'll fill you in on our 2nd class, which was even more fun than the first!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

There was an error in this gadget
Tote-ally Crafty Experience@2012. Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP