Thursday, June 14, 2012

DIY 'Celebrate' Banner

PHOTO SOURCE
I have seen these pennant banners all over Pinterest. I love the simplicity of them, and the fun they add to any gathering.

I knew the basic concept of how these were put together. But, I wanted some pointers on a way that would make them cut up quickly and efficiently. I found this blog post that gave wonderful directions on how to cut out, and even sew together your own personal banner.

While I do like the simplicity, and the look of the banners, I did want something with a more finished look, and a little bit of a personal touch. Here is what I made.


As you can see, I decided to put the word 'celebrate' across it, and I finished the edges instead of leaving them undone. I don't know, maybe it is just me, but I prefer a finished look to the unfinished.  =)

For the lettering I used freezer paper stenciling. It was only my second time to use this method, so it certainly isn't perfect but it did turn out wonderfully. At least I think so!

I am going to share with you my step by step process of doing the freezer paper stenciling and finishing the edges. For a complete tutorial on cutting the pennants for the banner please either visit the above mentioned blog, or any of the other great ones out there!  ;)

First, I cut the freezer paper to fit into my printer (8.5"x11"). I printed the letters directly onto the NON-shiny side of the freezer paper. I proceeded to cut around the letters to get the first picture you see above. Next, I used an exacto knife to cut out the letters. I just discarded the inside parts and kept the outer. These are my stencils. The far right picture is where I adhered the stencil to my fabric pennant. Place the stencil where you want it, and press a warm dry iron over it, SHINY side down. Make sure the edges are nicely adhered so that paint doesn't drip where you don't want it.
Once you have finished all of the letters, it is time to paint! As you can see in the far left picture, I used a white matte fabric paint and small flat bristled brush. Next I just painted the inside of the stencils until covered, being careful not to get any paint where I didn't want it. (Next time I print letters onto the freezer paper, I will leave more space. =] ) I put 2 coats letting them dry in between. Lastly, I *carefully* peeled the freezer paper off of the fabric.
Once they were all dry, I took some pre-made white bias and added it to the 2 sides of the pennant, not the top though. I continued this on all of the pennants.
Once I had each one completed, it was time to put them all together. I did this by taking a very long piece of white bias and sewing each pennant individually together. This is where you attach the bias to the top. For my banner I left 1 blank pennant on each side.


Speaking from experience, make sure you have enough bias on the ends of the banner so that you can tie it securely to a tree, or post, or whatever you may be tying it to! My ends were a bit short for the 2 trees I tied it to at a baby shower last week. Oops! It all worked out though. =)


Have a blessed day friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

There was an error in this gadget
Tote-ally Crafty Experience@2012. Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP