Monday, May 21, 2012

Gift Idea for Dad {Tutorial}

As I mentioned last week, I have a fun project for you to make for dear old Dad! (Please excuse my undesirable pictures. This is an area I need some improvement on!)
A tie shaped key chain (or a #1)!

Definitely a useful gift for Dad. He's got keys, right? Well then, he certainly needs to carry them in Dad style! Don't ya think?!

Now, time for a mini tutorial. {If my instructions are confusing, please leave me a comment and I will try and make them less confusing. ;) }

What you need:
  1. Fabric scraps from 2 different fabrics, seriously you don't need much for this project
  2. Craft weight stabilizer, scraps will do nicely
  3. Coordinating thread
  4. Ribbon, you only need about 2 inches
  5. Key ring (which I somehow forgot to attach and picture, please forgive me)
  6. You'll also need to draw a stencil. As you will see, I just sketched a little tie on a piece of paper.  =)

What to do:

1. First things first, draw a little tie, about 2 inches high, on a piece of paper. Cut it out.
2. Next you are going to iron the stabilizer onto the back of the fabric pieces. I did double up on one of the fabrics to make it extra sturdy.
3. Once you have ironed on the stabilizer, go ahead and trace the tie onto the back of the fabric (the stabilizer side).
4. Go ahead and cut it out. Now you have 2 ties.
5. We're going to fold the 2" ribbon piece over and place the ends in between the ties pieces, wrong sides together at the top. (I apologize, for some reason I did not photo this step!)

6. Once you have the pieces together you are going to sew them. I used a zigzag stitch with a wide zigzag and a small stitch length. You can see the setting I used with my machine below. (Can you believe I photoed that but not the above step?? Sheesh!)
7. Once you have gone the edges of the entire tie, you need to put a little curved line to separate the knot of the tie, and the hanging part. (Obviously these are not technical terms here!)

8. Now you should have your tie all sewn together! Hurray!
9. The last step would be to attach the keyring into the loop you made at the top of the tie.

*******

Now you have a fun keyring to give Dad! And, best of all, you made it with love yourself! Nothing says "I love you" like a handmade gift.  =)

These are so much fun to make. Why stop with just one? Make some more and give them to brothers, uncles, cousins, friends, co-workers, or any special Dad in your life! You can do just about any shape you'd like. I did a #1 and embroidered "DAD" in it, as pictured way up at the top. If you do the #1, just remember to reverse it when tracing it! ; )

Have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

There was an error in this gadget
Tote-ally Crafty Experience@2012. Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP