Friday, March 23, 2012

Around the World

Our home-school co-op had an "Around the World" Day today. It was so much fun! Before today though, we had to choose a country to study. Our family chose Japan. We read books and did internet searches to learn what we could about this country. Part of the "Around the World" Day was to come dressed in attire from that country. So, of course, we made kimonos!


These were so fun and easy to make! I used the tutorial found HERE. Great instructions, with multiple sizes. I did alter it a bit though. I didn't like how the ties were done in the pattern so I left it off and made everyone an obi (belt). I made a kimono for me also. I had to figure out the measurements to make it bigger, since the pattern I used was for kid sized kimonos. Mine is not pictured because, well, no real reason, I just didn't take a picture of it.  =]  The

 boys picked out their fabric. We found these prints at Hobby Lobby. I know Joann's has some also but they were a bit higher in price than I was willing to pay. These were affordable, and fitting to our theme!
Moose (8) chose this combination for his kimono.

N (10) picked out this authentic looking fabric.

The fire kimono was chosen by Zoom (5). He thought it was super cool!
The girl got fabric from my stash. Not super Japanese but cute none-the-less!
The kids had fun wearing these today. They even won a prize for the Most Crafty outfit. (Well, I think that's what they won it for. It was difficult to hear.) Needless to say, they were thrilled about winning.
Excuse the low quality, I forgot my real camera!
 Have a blessed weekend!

1 comment:

Followers

There was an error in this gadget
Tote-ally Crafty Experience@2012. Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP